PayPal Giving Widget

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hike 6 - Charles F. Lewis Natural Arera - 5.0 miles

The hiker is back!  Today, I took my dog, Cash, on a 5-miler through the Charles F. Lewis Natural Area.  This was a great day for a hike.  The weather was a bit warm, but the hike was nearly all in the shade under the canopy of trees.  The trailhead was easy to find on PA 403, just a few miles south of Rt.22.  I must say, this was probably one of the nicest parking areas for a trailhead that I have seen thus far.  I forgot my camera, however, so I'm sorry that I have no pictures to show you.

This hike is a straightforward loop hike.  After about a hundred feet into the woods, the trail splits in two.  We followed the nicely-blazed trail to the right.  This first portion of the hike was the most difficult.  It goes steeply uphill for a mile or so, then only kind of steep for the next mile.  By the time we got to the first power line clearing (and our first scenic view of the Conemaugh Gorge), we were ready for a break.  From here until the last 1/2 mile its a pretty even grade.  No major up or down segments. 

The trail recrossed the power line clearing again after we completed the far side of the trail loop.  Time for a little geocaching!  I have recently acquired a Garmin Oregon 450, which got broken in today by helping me find a nifty little geocache, about 200 feet into the bush from the main trail.  I was able to mark the trail as a waypoint, saving me lots of time searching around for the trail on my way back.  I located the cache after a thorough search  of the nearby hollow trees.  Cash and I rested while I examined its contents.  I left a message in the notebook that I found, along with a blue lighter from my pack.  Hopefully it will come in handy for some cold individual down the road. 

Having officially geocached for the first time, we used the GPS to find our way back to then trail.  200 feet doesn't sound very far, but when the brush is thick and you can't see any recognizable land features, it can be very confusing.  Even an experienced hiker can wind up going in circles.

Back on the trail we had smooth sailing for the next mile or so. 

Then the rocks showed up.

It was all rocks for the next 1/2 mile.  Big, obtuse, uneven rocks didn't simply occur on the trail, they WERE the trail!  It was slow and careful (for me, anyways) while we navigated the rocky terrain.  At the end of the rocky section, there was a third and final view of the valley.  There was even a giant boulder to climb to get a better view. 

After a steep, yet brief, downhill section, we arrived back at the original trail junction.  A short walk further led us back to the parking area and our sun baked car. 

Overall, I give this hike an 9/10.  It's a perfect length for a day hike.  It took me 3.5 hours, but I stopped to rest a few times.  Also, the views are really spectacular, despite the fact that some of them include the nuclear power plant in New Florence (yes, it's the same one from the New Florence Game Lands hike!).  Nevertheless, there are three great views and they are all different!  The rocks can be treacherous, so wear your boots and watch out for rattlesnakes.  There's a little stream in the beginning, but no other water sources.  Always remember to bring water, especially if you have a dog with you!

I really enjoyed this hike.  A perfect balance of challenging terrain and easy hiking. This is perhaps the best-marked trail I have seen yet.  I would almost consider it over-marked.  But then again, you can't have too much of a good thing, can you?

Hike on.

No comments:

Post a Comment