PayPal Giving Widget

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hike 43 - Wildflower Reserve - 2.4 miles

After a long hiatus, I am finally back on the trail.  The past seven months have been rough and many obstacles have had to be overcome.  First it was my knee injury, then six weeks of physical therapy, then terrible weather.  In April, my wife and I lost our baby at 18 weeks.  The experience was the most tragic and saddening experience of my life.  Needless to say, I spent my free time over the next two months tending to my wife and feeling rather depressed.

Now that some time has passed, the weather is improved, and things are relatively back to normal, I am back out on the trail.  This was my first hike of 2011, and I am resolved to finish my project.  Furthermore, my wife has expressed a sincere desire to accompany me.  Henceforth, we will be working on this project together.  It is nice to have a companion throught the woods. 

And so, we set out on a sunny Sunday to Raccoon Creek State Park.  We had hiked together there before, but that had been two years ago and without the benfit of proper equipment.  This time would be different.  The Wildflower Reserve is a no-pets section of RCSP, with several miles of trails.  The parking lot is ample, and there is a very nice information station, with plenty of maps.  Also there are restrooms!

The trail is easy to find, and starts outt easily from the parking lot.  The trail makes an L-shaped loop, but there are a variety of cross-connectors and side trails, so your adventure can be as short as you wish.  The big loop that we took was only 2.5 miles.

Hiking boots are nice for this trail, but not necessary.  There are only two significant climbs.  One is near the beginning and one near the end.  The first climb takes you past a rustic cabin.  It has some interesting history, which is detailed in the map/brochure.  I won't spoil it for you.

After that, the trail winds through forests and meadows.  Many wildflowers can be seen, as well as a large number of mushrooms.  This is not a good hike for those with severe seasonal allergies!  The pollen is palpable; you can smell it.  The Queen Anne's lace that grows here is over six feet tall, and even I suffered with sneezing from its wrath.  Achoo!

Sooner than later, we were back at our car.  We wore our packs for this hike and carried just water, snacks, and a few other essentials.  However, you don't need a pack for this one.  It's a short, easy trail - good for everyone.  For me, a hike is a hike, and I prepare and dress the same; boots, pack, essential gear.

Could have worn flip-flops.
Dangit.

Hike on.

No comments:

Post a Comment