PayPal Giving Widget

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hike 37 - Harrison Hills Park - February 7th, 2010 - 2.5 miles

This hike was taken in the winter while the snow was still heavy on the ground. Despite the cold, It was a bright, clear and sunny day. Great weather for hiking and my first opportunity to try out my new pack and trekking poles. Even though it was a shorter hike, I carried my new GoLite Quest pack. It weighs about 3 lbs. and has many cool space and weight saving features. I was especially excited to try out the internal hydration system. So, with my dog, Cash, I set out on the trail. The trail was easy to access, and began at a large parking lot. Fairly straight forward, it ran along the cliffside, merging with the Rachel Carson Trail.


There were no switchbacks on the hills, however, so the trail just ran straight up and over any obstacle. This made me very grateful for my trekking poles. It made climbing the hills much easier and saved my knees a lot of anguish. After a while, the trail marked in the book came to an end, but we decided to keep going along the RCT for a while. We turned into the woods and meandered through backyards, across vacant lots and even out to the highway. Once we arrived at a small pond with a bench, it was time to turn around. We retraced our steps back along the trail and out to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment