PayPal Giving Widget

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hike 13 - Roaring Run Natural Area - 8.2 miles

Refreshed from a few days of moderate rest, I decided to hike again on Thursday.  The weather could not have been better for a wooded journey as I returned, once again, to the Donegal area for my fifth hike in the Laurel Highlands.  Maybe the sixth.  I am beginning to lose count. 

The destination was the Roaring Run Natural Area, located quite close to Donegal in the Forbes State Forest.  In the midst of some farmland, there is a small parking area at the trailhead.  After getting myself and the dogs equipped, we set out down the trail.  The first mile or so of the trail was deceivingly easy to navigate.  It was wide, fairly straight and level, and clear of any encroachments.  This was not to last. 

After that first easy mile, near an unnecessary and environmentally-damaging man-made shelter, we came to our first stream crossing.  The trail follows Roaring Run for about 2.3 miles, criss-crossing it a total of 28 times!  This is not an exaggeration.  Tom Thwaites even counsels would-be hikers to turn back if they can't handle these unavoidable obstacles.  Much like in "Ghostbusters," crossing the streams is risky, but it is the only path to successful completion of the task at hand.  I managed the first two crossings with ease, but the third one found me with wet toes on my right foot.  It was not long before I made my first critical error, choosing a mossy rock for a foothold.  Not long after, a loud "SPLORSH!" could be heard, which echoed through the valley, followed by several emphatic expletives.   My entire right boot was drenched.  It did not take more than six more crossings before my left one was a soggy mess, too.  Even my trusty guidebook found its way into the water at one point!  This part of the hike was the most miserable. Unfortunately, it was due to my own carelessness.
The stream crossings were a significant challenge.  If one was willing to hack their way through a nest of catbriers, sometimes a more suiable spot to cross could be found up or downstream from the trail.  Sometimes, the only dry way to get across was to walk on a suspended log over the rushing stream.  It was like a real-life game of Frogger. 

I suck at Frogger.

With wet boots and dry humor, I finally arrived at a clearing, where I was to leave the Roaring Run Trail and turn left uphill on the Painter Rocks Trail.  This was a great time for a break.  I removed my wet boots and saturated socks, hanging them to dry on my trekking poles.  Basking in the sunlight, the dogs and I took a much-needed rest and enjoyed a snack as we sat waiting for the sun to dry my socks. 

Once my footwear had lost enough moisture to ensure I could hike on with as little discomfort as possible, the three of us set out up the Painter Rocks trail.  The climb was refreshing, and I, at least, was glad to be done with the stream crossings for the time being.  (The dogs could have frolicked in the creek all day.)

After a short venture uphill, we wandered through some dense forest until Red picked up a scent somewhere off the trail that stirred up his Coonhound instincts.  Without looking back, he tore off into the woods.  I called after him, and even tried to follow him, but to no avail.  I had lost my dog in the woods!  Cash and I sat by the trail for a good 20 minutes, waiting for Red to return.  Without any luck, I decided to continue up the trail, hoping that Red would find my scent and come back to me. 

We walked on for a good three miles, passing some established campsites, wild irises and a monument from 1896.  No sign of Red.  Continuing on, we entered a rocky area, which looked as though it may have some good views of the valley below.   Turning around, I saw Red galloping down the path, tongue swinging happily and showing no signs of regret for leaving me stranded.  It must be great to be a dog.

After passing a mile or so of rocky outcroppings, we began to make our descent back into the valley.  The steep switchbacks were merciless, rock-strewn and threatenting an ankle injury at every step.  Carefully, we made it to the valley floor, where our final stream-crossing awaited us.  Soon enough, we were once again on the Roaring Run Trail, heading back toward our car.  It was a long 0.9 miles, but eventually we made it, not much worse for the wear.
Overall, I give this hike an 8/10.  The stream is quite scenic.  As long as you take your time and cross carefully, you can avoid getting your feet wet.  The trail is well marked with yellow blazes (which at one time appear to have been blue) and is easy to follow.  The rocks on Painter Rocks Trail are ubiquitous, so wear your hiking boots.  There is a good deal of catbriers and poison ivy along the trail, so long pants or big socks are a good choice as well.  Although the views from the rocky hilltop were obstructed by lots of vegetation, they would probably be much better in the late fall or winter.  Lastly, you may likely encounter a good deal of hungry mosquitos, so be sure to bring bug spray.   

A second pair of socks isn't a bad idea, either.

Hike on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment