PayPal Giving Widget

Monday, April 19, 2010

Hike 11 - Blue Hole Creek - April 15th, 2010 - 8.0 miles

This was a true solo hike. No dogs. No wife. Just me and the wilderness.


It took me a longer time to find the trailhead than I thought it would. The book's directions were fair, but Blue Hole Rd. is not labeled. There is no sign, just a nameless dirt road that extends northward off of Fall Run Rd near Scullton, PA. If you attempt this hike, the unlabeled dirt road is the one you want. Stay to the right. After two miles, the road ends at an embankment where a berm is blocking off the road. Parked here. I got my gear out and prepared for the journey ahead.

The first part of the hike on this sunny afternoon was along what used to be Blue Hole Rd. Now it is grassy and covered with fallen trees, purposely placed there to prevent vehicles (except maybe for tanks) from using it. I had to climb over piles of logs every 50 feet or so. This is a pretty remote location. Kept hearing gunshots, though. Also, there were numerous stream crossings. Thankfully, the water level was low and the stream was not difficult to cross. After passing the remains of a bridge, the trail eventually merges with a gravel road which I followed up to a paved road. Turning left, I soon came to a sign for Seven Springs. Apparently I had wandered onto the southern tip of their complex. Another left turn brought me to the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, and the source of the gunshots I kept hearing. (Apparently, there is a clay-shooting range nearby.)

There was a water source at the point where I merged with the LHHT, and the trail continued left through the woods until I made a steep descent to the "bridge" on Blue Hole Creek. The bridge was merely a couple of 2x4's laid across a stream, which was really unnecessary due to the small size of the creek. After the bridge, it was back up the hill until I came to a side trail to the left that led to some A-frame shelters and restrooms. I passed through the campground and out onto an access road that led to Pletcher Rd. From there, I followed a gas line through lots of thorn bushes to a clearing where I turned left and came to a rocky road, which I followed downhill, yes, to the left. According to the map, the road makes a sharp right turn, doubling back on itself, back to the starting point of this hike. Due to my fatigue (I had really booked it and completed the hike in about 3 hours), I took a shortcut through the trees to the right and cut a little bit of distance off of my trek.

At last I came to a gate blocking the road, and I could see my car. Apparently this remote spot is popular with teenagers and the ilk, who use it to party undisturbed - due to the beer cans and cigarette butts that decorated this dead-end turnaround. All in all, it was a very nice hike. My first of the year in decent weather and my first in the Laurel Highlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment