PayPal Giving Widget

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Gear list for NCT-ANF hike 2010

Soon, I will be taking on my biggest hiking challenge yet:  The Allegheny National Forest segment of the North Country Trail.  I have always dreamed of hiking the AT or NCT in a thru-hike.  However, since I have a job and other imminent responsibilities, I cannot simply take six or more months' vacation to hike one of these  tremendous trails.  Fortunately, I am blessed to live in Pennsylvania, which hosts portions of BOTH the NCT and the AT.  Only New York can claim that same title.

The North Country Trail is a work-in-progress that will become, when finished, the longest footpath in the U.S., nearly twice the length of the Appalachian Trail.  Some segments are still under construction, but the ANF segment is completely finished.  This 96.3 mile trek goes from the New York State border to the Southern edge of the ANF, near Marienville, PA.

I will be writing extensively about my trip when I get back, along with posting my (hopefully) amazing pictures.  This hike will take seven days and will be a true adventure in the wilderness.  For now, I will be publishing a series of entries about my preparation for the hike.  First, and most essential, is my gear.
Pack/Tent/Sleeping system
backpack - GoLite Quest (3 lbs, 4500 cc)
tent - Eureka Apex 2
sleeping bag - Wenger Zermatt (synthetic)

Really, everything else is minor. If you have any questions about my gear, please feel free to post a comment.  I will gladly tell you what I will be carrying.  I may post a complete list in the future, but I'm hesitant to write one now due to the great possibility for additions/omissions once the packing process is underway.

Hike on.

No comments:

Post a Comment